Quartam PDF Library

-= JB =- sundown at nwrain.net
Mon Jun 4 19:40:43 EDT 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:37 AM, Jan Schenkel wrote

> Fonts and styles are special beasties in the PDF
> world. It's a long story, dating back to PDF's origin
> in PostScript.
> For instance, the font must supply separate bold and
> italic (aka oblique) fonts to support those two
> styles. Underline, strikethrough, outline, shadow and
> all that fun aren't even in the PDF specification.
>
> The best part is that I have to actually parse the
> postscript and truetype font files to figure out the
> exact width of characters - it's not because something
> is 6 pixels wide, that this means it's automatically 3
> millimeters on paper: the screen version is an
> approximation of the font definition.
> This parsing system is complicated and not yet
> finished. And it gets even better if you also have to
> support unicode. So it's something that will take some
> time to finish.
>
> In the meantime, the standard set will suffice for
> most purposes.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jan Schenkel.
>
> Quartam Reports for Revolution
> <http://www.quartam.com>

    Hi Jan,

    Thanks for the info.  Sorry to hear about the complex
    problems with different fonts & styles.

    Are you fairly confident that in the future the user will
    be able to use any font & style and also print them in
    full justification or is it too complicated to say for sure.

    regards,
    -=>JB<=-