revBrowser : Problems with PDFs when Acrobat's Pdfviewer plugin is installed

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Jul 30 16:02:08 EDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 3:41 am, Christian Langers wrote:

> - when calling a Pdf file from my HD (and probably from the internet
> too) and you've got Adobe's PdfViewer plugin installed, revBrowser
> will open an ask file window

> I disabled Adobe's plugin, and voilà, revBrowser loaded the file ; I
> know revBrowser depends on Safari.

Hi Christian:

I ran into a related (but different) situation with revBrowser some time
ago. In my experience it seemed that Macs would *not* display PDFs
within Safari unless the pdfviewer plugin was installed. I found in that
situation that default behavior without the plugin was the browser would
hand off the PDF to Preview. I believe in general you can't rely on the
pdfviewer plugin being installed.

I'm curious how you were able to get PDFs to show up with the plugin
disabled.  When you disable the plugin, will Safari continue to display
PDFs?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director