Accessing IE history for 'Last Week'

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Jul 23 11:55:02 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:28:37 +0000, Mark E. Powell wrote:

> specialfolderpath(34) is the folder where Microsoft stores browser
> history.  Going to that directory in Explorer, you can click through
> 'Last Week' and see the folder equivalents of what you see in the
> History pane in Internet Explorer.
>
> My question is how can I set the defaultfolder to see inside this
> 'Last Week' entity, so that I can collect history data and do
> something with it.

Well, even though Windows will display the History as if it was a
folder, it really isn't (well actually it *is* (it's called
"History.IE5"), but it has binary index files in it that you can't
read).

There is a freeware application called "IE HistoryView" that can be
called from the command line to spit out the history data to a file
that you can then open and parse through. The company is NirSoft, and
you can find it here:

  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

I just tested it to pipe data to a tab-delimited document like this:

  iehv /stab "C:\test.txt"

Have fun!

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.