some stuff about languages and web dev. Re: OT: Silverlight - Comments?

viktoras didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Thu Jul 19 12:54:02 EDT 2007

Thanks for correcting me Andre!

It is just when I opened http://silverlight.net/ and saw familiar titles
(.NET, AJAX, VB, C#, Python and Ruby) + integrates with existing web
applications so "..delivering of high quality video to all major
browsers..." went to the second plan as it is at the very end of the
introduction. Does this mean that Microsoft now openly competes with Adobe ?

However that's interesting to see Microsoft becoming more and more a
cross platform player recently... I tend to agree with your post about
the bubble of in-browser web apps. It is true and correct from
developers position. However I guess the situation may be quite
different on users front. People like browsers, they are used to them -
when you mention Internet, the browsers "archetype" is the first thing
to associate with it because the browser is such a flexible "thing"
where you can write http://etc.com of your choice and something will
definitely pop out with flash, AJAX whatever - user don't cares. It
works, they are playing flash games (without knowing what the heck that
flash is...), reading newspapers, buying things there, managing their
bank accounts, and so on... And many of them are in panic when they need
to install new application into their PCs. They are scared because of
security concerns or "if something goes wrong who is going to fix my
machine?..".  So the bubble may not explode as we expect. One may
extrapolate that future browsers 10 years from now will be even more
suitable for application deployment then they are now. But future is
unpredictable...

Best wishes
Viktoras