Paste into field issue

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Tue Jul 17 18:14:41 EDT 2007

On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:53 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Timothy Miller wrote:
>> Hi Jacque,
>> I'm using the "Harry Potter" page on wikipedia for test purposes.
>> By first doing command-A, then judiciously shift-clicking, I have
>> isolated the source of the problem, unless I screwed it up. It
>> appears to be the "In Other Languages" sidebar at the far left
>> side of the page.
>> It will paste into my email client.
>
> I was able to reproduce the problem, but I'm not sure we should
> call it a bug, since it's pretty much just how Rev works right now.
> The problem is that the web page is encoded in unicode. The most
> reliable way to transfer that to Rev is via the htmlText property.
> This works okay with the problem text:
>
>    set the htmltext of fld 1 to the clipboardData["html"]

Well, sure. That isn't hard.

The problem is going to occur with unsophisticated users, like me,
who don't understand what the problem is, and suffer frustration as a
consequence. This is a tiny bit user-unfriendly. Probably not good
for RR. Of course, they have limited resources and are doing the best
they can.

OTOH, if I can paste unicode into Stickies, TextEdit, or an email
client, I guess the computational task isn't that hard, and I suppose
the necessary code is available off the shelf.

Not a huge issue for me in any case.

Cheers,

Tim