Custom Properties vs globals

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Jul 17 12:24:32 EDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:59:28 +0800, Kay C Lan wrote:

> I'm just trying to formulate some 'rules of thumb' of when to use custom
> props and when globals, so I can avoid the 'goshhhh, now I need to change
> all those to .......... because I need to.....' moments ;-)

One thing to keep in mind is that globals are automatically purged when
Rev quits, whereas custom properties have the *possibility* of being
saved in a particular state, especially if this is a "data stack" that
you're allowing users to add data to and save to disk.

So to be 100% accurate, you'd need to always clear out the custom
properties you plan on using for "stack-level globals". And to that
end, I've been using custom property *sets* for this purpose, so I can
lump all my stack-level globals into a single custom property set that
I can delete when my program launches before any props are set. If the
set doesn't exist, no problem and no error; if it does, it gets wiped.

Eventually it would be nice to be able to declare stack-level globals
(or whatever one might want to call them) that get the benefit of
automatic purging and don't collide with other stacks...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/