OT - Save the Mac Mini

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Jul 12 07:41:52 EDT 2007

> [...]  Apple plans to discontinue the Mac Mini.
> [...petition link...]

Two things:

1) Aren't there also rumors about a NEW Mac Mini coming out? From
macosrumors.com:

"The next-generation Mac Mini will sport Core 2 Duo processors at 1.83, 2.0
(Standard models) and 2.16GHz (Gamer's Model), Intel GMA965 integrated
(standard models) or ATi Radeon X1800 dedicated (Gamer's Model) graphics,
support for up to 5GB of RAM (two 512MB on-board chips, plus two full-sized
DIMM slots capable of supporting up to 2GB of DDR2-667 SDRAM each), new
faster Superdrives, 802.11n wireless, and in the Gamer's Model, support for
two displays (Dual Link DVI and Mini-DVI ports). And that's not even the
best part...."

2) Is the Mac Mini really worth saving?

Yes, I know it's the only Mac available under $1000, but it's still $600 in
its base configuration; to get a decent one you'll have to pay $1250. (2GB
RAM, 160GB HD, 1.83 MHz CPU). Even then it's notoriously difficult for end
users to upgrade -- and impossible to upgrade the anemic video card. You'd
never want to use the current Mac Mini for any gaming or video/multimedia
production. Contrast this with a Gateway I picked up from TigerDirect for
$399 last month that had 2GB of RAM, 250 GB HD, a 2GHz dual-core processor,
and superior integrated graphics -- I could build a server farm of three or
four of those for the cost of one Mac Mini. Plus the Gateway can be upgraded
easily and cheaply to have SATA RAID, high-performance PCIe video, dual TV
tuner, etc. I'm currently using mine to test Rev under Windows Vista and it
just screams.

Doesn't run Max OS X (legally) and doesn't have the adorable form factor but
if you're trying to sell me on the "cheap server" argument I'm not
convinced.

I feel a more appealling petition for me would be asking for Apple to
release something like the Gateway -- a Mac Medium that has a bigger box
with accessible slots and easy user upgrades that is affordable.

They did something like that with notebooks and it was immensely successful.
The MacBook is highly competitive price-performance wise with any PC laptop.
The RAM and hard disk are very conveniently located for end-user upgrades.
The whole system is elegant and functional. That's why they've sold a ton of
them -- one of them to me -- and turned a whole bunch of people on to Mac
OS.