popup command: bug please confirm?

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 09:51:42 EDT 2007

On 7 Jul 2007, at 13:23, David Bovill wrote:

I had a look and see what you mean.

Sending the popup command in a "send ... in  <time>" message seems to
stop the card script firing. That might help you.

on mouseDown
     send "popitup" to me in 150 milliseconds
end mouseDown

on popitup
    put the long id of btn "_Player Menu" into mButton
    popup mButton
end popitup

But even with this, there is some odd behavior. The timing of the
popitup message, and the way in which you press and release the mouse
affects the message sequence. However, this may not be a problem. (It
will be if you need to respond to the mouseUp message on the Player.)

The popup behavior seems to "suspend" mouse messages in some way.
This is probably because the next click outside the popup will
dismiss the menu, and not cause the normal mouseDown/mouseUp messages
to be sent. However, in your stack, perhaps because the popup command
is happening in the mouseDown handler, the Player's mouseDown is
being "interfered with" in some way. To be honest, I'm not sure what
should happen to messages in this situation. But getting a mouseDown
in the card is weird.

It reminds me a little of what used to happen (it may still do this)
when you try to poll for the mouse being released in a mouseDown
handler (repeat until the mouse is up). The mouseUp target would not
necessarily be the object which received the mouseDown.

Cheers
Dave