XML Woes

Bridger Maxwell bridgeyman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 20:55:52 EST 2007

Hey,
  I am new to XML and I am having troubles again.  I have a handler that
makes XML, and in some cases it recursively calls itself and uses the
revAppendXML command to combine the recursively called tree into the tree it
is working on.  For some reason though, after I insert the second XML tree
into the first, some of the XML nodes in the second tree get messed up.  Any
node in the second tree that doesn't contain any data gets messed up.
<myTag></myTag>
becomes:
<myTag/>

What does that mean?  When the second tree is returned it looks fine, it
only gets messed up after the revAppendXML command is called.  Is it even
legal to have an XML tag with the forward slash character at the end of the
name?  And where did the closing tag go?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  In case I wasn't very clear here is some sample XML to show
what is happening:

<XMLTree1>
 <Value1>20</Value1>
 <Value2></Value2>
 <XMLTree2>
   <Value1>20</Value1>
   <Value2/>         <--- Problem area

 </XMLTree2>
</XMLTree1>

  Thank You,
   Bridger Maxwell
   Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center