Common writable folders

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jan 18 13:13:39 EST 2007

sims wrote:
> At 8:48 PM -0800 1/17/07, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> You mean Apple provides no way for any scripting language to request
>> authorization on its own? Not even AppleScript?
>

> For the dialog use AppleScript:
> do shell script "command" with administrator privileges
>
> To pass other items use:
> do shell script "command" user name "me" password "mypassword" with
> administrator privileges

I'm having trouble with this. I do get the official Apple password
dialog, but can't execute a command.

I want to change permissions on a folder. This script fails with
"execution error":

put "chmod 777 /Library/Application Support/myfolder/" into tShellCmd
   put "do shell script" &&quote& tShellCmd &quote&& "with administrator
privileges" into tCmd
   do tCmd as applescript
   put the result

So I figured I needed to escape the space. When I do that, this script
fails with "compiler error":

put "chmod 777 /Library/Application\ Support/myfolder/" into tShellCmd
   put "do shell script" &&quote& tShellCmd &quote&& "with administrator
privileges" into tCmd
   do tCmd as applescript
   put the result

If I substitute colons instead of slashes I go back to "execution
error". Adding "sudo" to the front of the command doesn't help (but I'm
running as admin right now, so maybe that's why.)

What's the right command to allow any user, admin or not, to type in an
admin password and set the permissions on this folder? Am I using this
feature correctly?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com