Common writable folders

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 17 11:58:32 EST 2007

Luis wrote:
 >> Other than that you could create this folder on the logged in users'
 >> default save location when the app starts up: Each user that uses
 >> the app would then have this folder on the HD in the default save
 >> location.
 >
 > Ooops, I meant to include:
 >
 > The folder created on the app startup would check to see if it has
 > already been created. The folder would be created with permissions to
 > enable sharing of the contents and copy across the contents of any
 > other shared folders of the same name.

I think you're onto it.

I ran a couple of quick tests and found that for Mac an admin can set
permission on a folder inside of Applications to allow non-admin writes.

On Win if you create a folder in:

  /Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/

...and turn off Read Only, the folder can be written by other users.

I just need to work out the command lines for these and add that to the
custom installer and it should all be good.

Thanks for the input -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation