lost everything, macbook and its HD broken.

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Jan 16 16:50:16 EST 2007

Andre,

People have given some excellent advice here. I just want to underscore some
of the items and give you a couple additional ones:

1) The weird noise may not be a physical failure of the hard disk. A bad
controller or motherboard can instruct the hard disk to do unnatural things.
You also mentioned something about the motherboard being replaced. The very
cheapest thing to do is to yank that hard drive out of the Mac and put it
into a USB/Firewire housing. They cost as low as $14 mail order and no more
than $45 for the top-of-the-line models. There are two advantages to getting
a housing:

- You can try to boot from the drive using a borrowed Mac.
- You can attach it to a working Mac (or even PC) to have someone try to get
the data off it.

I wouldn't let that MacBook talk to that hard disk anymore. Yank the HD out
(well, carefully) and try getting it to mount on a known-good computer.

2) As someone mentioned before, don't let Apple get their hands on the
drive. Like all manufacturers, they are a component-swap shop, not a hard
drive recovery service. Sending it to Apple is one way to make sure you data
goes bye-bye.

3) I'm sure just about anyone here would be willing to help you try to get
your data back; let me add my name to the list.

4) I'm not sure how big your disk is, but an 80GB 3.5-in drive is about $45
and the external USB/Firewire housing for them is about another $20. (Check
newegg.com out.) For $65 you get a pretty amazing external backup solution.
Usually plenty of space for your data (you don't need to back up system
software and applications that come on CD). You don't need one of those
fancy pre-built external things; it's super easy to build your own.

5) Dreamhost may not be the ideal ISP but the reason I kept them is they
give me 400GB of storage and 4TB of transfer, which increases weekly by
2GB/32GB, for $20/month (or much less if you prepay). They don't mind if you
back up your drive to their servers, in fact they have a knowledgebase
article on how to do it. What a huge peace of mind to have your files on a
server that is offsite, redundant drives, air conditioned, UPS backed up,
accessible from anywhere in the world, etc. (And they have improved their
throughput and reliability a LOT since the summer.)

Good luck!

news:8C7B763E-3A7D-4BDF-9FBF-D0A626B05D3D at mac.com...