playing and recording at the same time

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Sun Jan 7 12:00:06 EST 2007

OK, one thing is -- is this a one-shot one or two computer setup? Or
do you plan doing a lot of these simultaneously?

The problem is that you want to manage multiple audio streams in and
out synchronously and programmed.

I don't think rev audio can do multiple audio streams like this in
one app, at  least perfectly timed.

However, perhaps you could have a 'player' app that plays the prompts

And another that records, with some kind of inter-app communication.
This is easier on a Mac. To get both into the same file... you'll
need a mic preamp for the one side of the line input and the audio of
the computer out to both the headset and the other side of the line
input.

There's a bit of soldering and patching to do this, and it's not a
total digital solution. There's also the problem of possible
input-output feedback. All in all, that is a pretty cheesy solution.

I'm surprised there isn't already an app out there that does all this.
Google "audio language learning software custom" and see what you get.

Here's something that's close; for windows
http://www.nch.com.au/language/index.html

Perhaps a multi-track audio recorder might be an easier alternative.
Even the most professional machines are very cheap these days.

OR try Rev/Applescripting an audio app that can do multiple streams;
Sound Studio. Also check out Audio Hijack Pro (mac) which can
establish a separate record stream apart from the built-in audio.
Both are applescriptable.

Finally, Trevor's Quicktime Externals might show another way to
control the audio streams if you use Quicktime files for the audio.
Perhaps it can 'overdub' a track in parallel with an existing audio
track.

A good headset is a must in all cases.

Please let us know what you come up with.

sqb

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o