Re-2: Umlaut

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Feb 28 13:12:34 EST 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> runrev at animabit.de wrote:
> > Perhaps it would the best for runrev they would rework the
> > textfield unicode functions and starting also removing the
> > righttoleft bugs in the textfields for arabic,syriac and hebrew.
>
> Ouch!  That survived v2.8?  Any word on when that'll be addressed?
>
> Oh, I'm in for a tough conversation with some customers....

Richard,

I don't think the 2.8/2.9 fixes even addressed the unicode bugs,
which are probably shortcomings in the engine that will need to be
addressed as a whole. I would be surprised if that issue were even
addressed before the next major Rev version.

But in the meantime, you can get right to left languages to mostly
behave as long as you don't need to support extensive user input. If
you only need to support *display* of right to left langs you can do
it pretty reliably. In that case you're usually better off to create
the text outside of Rev, save as unicode--utf-8 seems to be pretty
reliable--and read it into a field.

I covered many of the basic unicode issues in my Revcon talk last
summer.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University