RunRev and Ubuntu . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 10:41:38 EST 2007

Mark Weider wrote:

"Revolution, of course, works fine on (K)Ubuntu, it's
just a couple of
major versions behind the times..."

I use RunRev on a full-time basis running content
delivery and reinforcement programs - a posh way of
saying EFL software for Primary Kids - on Pentium 3s
running Ubuntu - super.

BUT!

because movieClip delivery with RR is dependent on
Quicktime, it is
effectively a no-go area on Ubuntu.

I use silly, little animated GIFs to entertain the
tinies; but they "suck" RAM in a very bad way; and,
obviously, you cannot control them in the same
'fine-grained' way you can using QT on Mac OS or
Windows.

As a result, EFL video segments I use with adult
student have to be delivered by RealPlayer; and having
video segments that have to be accessed externally to
the main teaching program means a lot of teaching time
wasted helping busy people who have more important
things going on in their lives than having to
negotiate themselves round the intricacies of the
fairly top-heavy "modern GUI" (see my Master's thesis
for further abusive comments on that topic).

Until Runtime Revolution can produce a home-grown
component for movie-file delivery on Linux it will not
get as far as it should in that GROWING SECTOR.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.