ResizeQuality property seems much slower on Macs

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Thu Feb 22 04:02:17 EST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Not sure, but I think the new 'best' uses bicubic sampling and the
> previous 'best' uses bilinear. You might try using 'good' in 2.7.8 and
> seeing if it doesn't render the same as 'best' in 2.7.4
>
> Bicubic vs bilinear isn't near as big a dropoff in quality as Normal
> (nearest neighbor) vs bilinear.

Chipp,

On Macs in Rev 2.7.4, resizeQuality had no effect.  You could resize
an image and never set that property and have a beautifully
antialiased image.  In Rev 2.8 gm3 not setting the resizeQuality of
an image makes it default to "normal" which as you said looks pretty
bad.  To compensate for this change, you have to pick some setting.
The only one that comes close to the 2.7.4 look is "best".  The only
problem is that this slows down everything.  I need to some some
benchmarking to see how bad it is.

One of my apps relies heavily on this feature and is getting hit hard
by the extra processing time.  It has cause me to go back to 2.7.4
for the Mac version of this particular app.  I appreciate the ability
to control the antialiasing on the Mac, but really need the speed
back even more.

I have BZ this:  4460

Mark Talluto
--