Parallels Desktop

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Feb 20 11:20:37 EST 2007

Firstly, what I meant to write is:

>>> 1) Ability to re-use your Boot Camp partition from within *MAC OS X*
>>> as a "virtual" drive.

Basically, under Boot Camp your Intel-based MacBook step into a telephone
booth and become an exceptionally stylish Windows notebook. You hold down
the Option key when the machine starts up. You get a menu with two icons:
your Macintosh and the Windows drive.

- If you choose the Windows drive, you boot directly into XP or Vista. The
Macintosh disk is not accessible to you within Windows. You are running with
100% native Windows drivers for all peripherals, and Windows is taking over
the whole machine, working directly with your hardware, as if you were
running it on a DELL or HP laptop. Games run at full speed and take
advantage of any hardware acceleration on the video card. There are zero
compatibility issues.

- If you choose the Macintosh icon, you boot into OS X. The Boot Camp
partition will show as a second hard drive icon on your desktop. If it was
formatted with FAT32, you are limited to 30GB but you will be able to read
and write files to that drive from OS X. If it was formatted with NTFS, you
will only be able to read, not write, to that drive. Without additional
software, you cannot run programs from the Windows side unless you reboot
and choose the Windows icon.

- Under Parallels, you can create any number of virtual machines for various
i386-based operating systems. Usually you have to create a "virtual disk"
for each OS, which lives as a file on your Mac disk. The very convenient
thing about the latest "RC" versions of Parallels is that they let you
specify the aforementioned Boot Camp partition as the source of a "virtual"
machine. Once you do this it has several advantages:

1) You do not need to purchase two copies of Windows
2) You do not need to waste hard disk space on a second "virtual hard drive"
3) Changes to the Boot Camp partition are reflected whether you use the
native environment or the virtual one. You don't have to install your
applications twice, etc.
4) You can use Parallels most of the time to access the PC-side, using Boot
Camp only when necessary for the extra speed/compatibility it offers.

When running under Mac OS X, you have full access to your Boot Camp
partition, applications and data. You can run any Windows application
side-by-side with your Mac applications. You can drag-drop files from one
environment to another. If you copy something in Windows, you can paste it
into Mac, and vice-versa. (Regarding Bluetooth: My wireless Mighty Mouse
works, so that's all I care about.)

- As for Coherence: It basically releases Windows applications from their
"box." In every other "virtual" PC environment, when you launch the "guest
operating system" it appears as a single window (or full-screen) with the
whole PC and its applications therein. With Parallels Coherence, you have
the ability to eliminate the Windows desktop and Start menu/task bar if you
like. This presents any application to you under Mac OS X as its own window
independently. It can be both jarring and eerie, but also very cool. It has
the benefit of making it easier and completely seamless to switch between
Mac and Windows applications. Screen real estate is conserved. Individual
Windows apps can be added to your Mac OS X dock and launched directly from
there. It doesn't feel like you're switching OS'es. The only way to tell an
app isn't a Mac OS X program is the tell-tale blue Windows title bar.

"Ian Wood" <revlist at azurevision.co.uk> wrote
in message news:337EB1C0-E804-4B70-B131-5C97143BFA98 at azurevision.co.uk...
> 1) Boot Camp sets up a new partition on your HD and you can install
> Windows on that partition, then swap between Mac OS and Windows by
> rebooting. For some hardware testing this is better than  virtualisation
> as the OS is dealing with the hardware directly. For  instance, you get
> access to the internal Bluetooth, which doesn't  (last time I looked) work
> under Parallels.
>
> The beta version of Parallels let's you use this 'existing' copy of
> Windows instead of needing a second install.
>
> 2) Windows application windows interleaved with Mac windows, instead  of
> it all being kept within the Parallels window/desktop. Personally  I'm not
> too keen as it's a horrible mess visually, but I can see the  attraction
> for others.
>
> Ian
>
> On 20 Feb 2007, at 13:39, Jim Carwardine wrote:
>
>> Bill, can you give a few more details about the two plusses you  listed.
>> Having only used Parallels and not Boot Camp I don't understand  point 1
>> and having only survival knowledge of Windows, point 2 leaves me
>> wondering as well... Jim
>>
>> on 2/19/07 11:32 PM, Bill Marriott wrote:
>>> 1) Ability to re-use your Boot Camp partition from within Windows  as a
>>> "virtual" drive.
>>>
>>> 2) Coherence -- the ability to run Windows applications without  the
>>> Windows