OT: MACDRAFT story/endorsement

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 03:12:53 EST 2007

On 2/16/07, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> Question, how long did it take the first Mac to boot using those 400K
> Twiggy drives?
> Answer: Less than 30 seconds, unbelievable.
>
> Bummer...Seems like 3 steps forward, 4 steps back.

Also trying to steer the thread away from Mac v Win but more just computers
generally, I put forward an argument recently, on another list, that we are
actually taking big steps backward as far as our computer experience is
concerned. This is based purely on the 'max RAM' to 'maximum document size'
ratio.

Although Moore's Law might convince us that computers are getting faster and
faster, we all actually know that it is RAM that provides the best bang for
the buck.

Back in '87 I bought a computer which had a max RAM of 512K and most
documents I produced were normally 16K to 32K, occasionally ending up a
whopping 64K.

Today my desktop has a max RAM of 8GB, but I regularly work on 16GB+ video
files!

So the ratios are:

87 - 8/1
07 - 1/2

Which of course explains why it takes forever to render video but back in
'87 it never took more than a moment to do anything.

Thankfully though Rev projects and most everything else we do are much
smaller so we generally do have a very healthy Ram/document size ratio:-)