Is libURL required for a "get url..." statement?

Derek Bump list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Fri Feb 16 00:59:04 EST 2007

Chipp Walters wrote:
> Just curious, why do you use the startup handler? I've always found
> preOpenStack in the card script works great for me.
>
> I suppose you can use the startup handler to set external paths, but
> there are even workarounds for that. I've never used on startup.

Well, it's an HyperCard habit of mine.

I mainly use the startup handler to take care of tasks that would
require the program to display a dialog box or perform a command line
task that is out of the ordinary realm of the program's function, and
then immediately quit.

I've noticed that doing the same task in a preOpenStack handler results
in the main stack showing itself momentarily, then disappearing, due to
the quit command.  As such, I would prefer the user didn't see that type
of "flash", as some people assume that it means something bad happened.
  Out of sight, out of mind.

But in the end, I still find myself doing a lot of my old HyperCard
habits... like creating stacks sized to 512 x 342! :)

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/