OT: MACDRAFT story/endorsement

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Thu Feb 15 15:13:48 EST 2007

In 1988 I had the same need in building studios at A&M Records. We
had yet to decide on what platform to use, and what software.
Hypercard was just on the horizion. I was an old Apple guy - and
leaning toward the Mac anyway, but I thought I'd try to level the
playing field.

First I went into a PC store in Simi Valley and asked to see a
working demo of the 'best' CAD software. I think they put up Autocad.
The background was black, the lines were white and some other basic
colors, and although there was a mouse, the whole interface seemed
clunky and non-intuitive. I hated it. The PC wasn't ready then.

Then I went to an Egghead software store (remember them?) and found
MacDraft. I asked if I could try it out (! try that today !) and they
let me play with it for an hour. I could work with it immediately. I
bought it on the spot, even before I had a Mac. Great, classic
MacDraw interface. We used it to build everything. Studios, track
sheets, equipment notations,forms, etc.

They're still around - and the product is at the $290 price point.
Just bought an new copy last year. It ain't Powerdraw, but it covers
99 percent of most needs.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o