Ken Burns?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 23:08:17 EST 2007

On 2/9/07 6:31 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Anyone come up with a way to do a Ken Burns effect in Rev?
>
> My attempts thus far have been dismal, and there appears to be nothing
> in Core Image to help..

Are you generating a series of images, or trying to display one image with
continuously varying properties?

Which effect? zoom, pan, both + fade in, fade out ?

The fundamental problem you are probably not going to solve is that an image
in Rev has discrete pixels and can only display in discrete pixel locations.
If you start with a 2x larger image, display 50% you still have to position
it on discrete pixels.  Snap shots will do the same alignment.

You might go for the pseudo KB, which is to soften the pan/zoom 'jaggies' by
using the blend 0-100 fade out, 100-0 fade in.

Make a copy of the slide to pan/zoom.  Now you actually move the pan/zoom
several pixels (A>B) rather than .33 or .54 etc.  Make the fade out fast,
and the fade in of the second version of your image slow against a good
matching background image (black, white, grey).

What you are creating is a melting effect of the same image into a copy,
which is a "soft" stop action effect rather than a true KB.

-------------
Mega-sized workaround
The only way I know is to do what iMovie does.... renders the transition
frames, which can be a slow process on older computers.

I thought a workaround would be to do this in iMovie, then export to
Quicktime, thus converting the KB to frames of the original image, then play
the frames.

I do some Flash programming that can generate what are called tweens, but
again, Flash generates the steps/frames, which adds to the size of the movie
when you export it to jpgs/QT.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas