OT: Quicktime Streaming Server on LInux

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Sat Feb 3 10:55:12 EST 2007

Great news you guys don't have to pay for your Dreamhost account as a
non-profit.

>Stephan did you get your 4-5 megabyte movies to appear?

Yes, by checking for existence of the movie first in a folder in
'Documents' then downloading the video before viewing if it's not
there. My app uses hierarchical menus to list available movies on a
remote server in different folders that represent the hierarchy. When
the file list from the server is updated for the menus it also checks
for any movies not on the server anymore and deletes them. This works
amazingly well.

The movies I created in something called iShowU use the Apple
Animation codec, 15 FPS,  compressed and hinted for streaming. These
are 'screen movies', to show how an application works. These did not
take well to streaming as they would not 'fill in the blocks' on big
scene changes (like a window appearing) and it looked pretty ugly.
Probably had something to do with keyframes. Also they had to have
the extra step of 'flattening'. Turned out to be a much bigger hassle
(for me) than the method I described above, which probably won't work
for you.

This is good for my application where I need simple help videos. But
for the most part I'm not showing 'reality' video, just screen movies
- they're steady and clean and compress well..
--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o