application icon not appearing in OSX

Peter Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:08:31 EST 2007

"J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> Peter Brigham wrote:
>
>> So before I create my standalone, I choose the icon file I want to be
>> assigned to my app in the standalone builder settings -- a 128x128
>> png
>> file -- and then build the standalone. It appears after the build
>> with a
>> generic app icon. I understand that the standalone builder fails to
>> "touch" the app to notify the Finder that the icon has been
>> changed to a
>> custom icon. Somewhere recently on this list I read that zipping then
>> unzipping it will force the Finder to look at the icon in the bundle,
>> but when I do this I still have the generic icon on the newly-
>> unzipped app.
>>

> I don't think this is the "touch" issue. OS X icon files are actually
> composites of several images at different sizes and bit depths, which
> are stored together in a specially crafted .icns file. Mac OS X
> Developer Tools has a utility called "Icon Composer" that is easy
> to use
> and produces basic .icns files. Photoshop can also produce them (Chipp
> has a tutorial on it somewhere on his site, maybe he'll provide a
> link.)
> Graphic Converter can make them too.
>
> Windows requires a similar kind of composite file which most Windows
> icon programs can produce.
>
> For either OS, point the standalone builder to the composite file.

Thanks. I used Iconographer to make a .icns file and after some
tweaking got the icon to show up. Problem solved. Now on to creating
a Windows icon....

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig/

-- "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're a
fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
           -- Mark Twain