application icon not appearing in OSX

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Dec 24 21:52:24 EST 2007

Peter Brigham wrote:
> So before I create my standalone, I choose the icon file I want to be
> assigned to my app in the standalone builder settings -- a 128x128 png
> file -- and then build the standalone. It appears after the build with a
> generic app icon. I understand that the standalone builder fails to
> "touch" the app to notify the Finder that the icon has been changed to a
> custom icon. Somewhere recently on this list I read that zipping then
> unzipping it will force the Finder to look at the icon in the bundle,
> but when I do this I still have the generic icon on the newly-unzipped app.

I don't think this is the "touch" issue. OS X icon files are actually
composites of several images at different sizes and bit depths, which
are stored together in a specially crafted .icns file. Mac OS X
Developer Tools has a utility called "Icon Composer" that is easy to use
and produces basic .icns files. Photoshop can also produce them (Chipp
has a tutorial on it somewhere on his site, maybe he'll provide a link.)
Graphic Converter can make them too.

Windows requires a similar kind of composite file which most Windows
icon programs can produce.

For either OS, point the standalone builder to the composite file.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com