Packages

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Dec 8 16:52:40 EST 2007

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Chipp Walters wrote:
>> So, if I understand this correctly, you can have a 'package' which is
>> a folder but not a 'bundle' but looks like one because it's 'bundle
>> bit' is on? :-)
>
> A package is also treated as a single file; the user double-clicks it
> and it launches the package installer. But unless you are creating a
> package installer (you'll need Apple's tools to do that,) all the
> packages you will work with will be application bundles.

If only it were that easy.  In addition to ".pkg" packages and ".app"
packages, there are also an unknown number of "files" which are
packages, including Garage Band's ".band" packages and others.

Given the wide variety of ways the OS may use to determine whether a
folder is a folder or a package I think it's safe to say the best
solution would not rely on our scripted workarounds, but instead use the
OS API.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal