[OT] How to get Install Text in MacOS X .dmg files

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 16:13:02 EST 2007

> I'd like to create a new backdrop that says something like "Please
> drag the XXX to the Applications Folder to Install" when my .dmg file
> is opened by the user. Does anyone know how to do this? I've setup a
> Picture and made this the Window Picture in the View Options dialog,
> however, when I open the .dmg file the image is not there.

Hi Dave,

I use DropDMG to make the dmg files and it's help has this section:

-------------
When making an image from a folder, DropDMG copies to the image the
background pictures and view options of all the contained folders. It
does not copy this information for the top-level folder because Apple
does not provide a way to do this. If the top-level background picture
and view settings on the image are important to you, you can set them
as follows:

Drag the folder onto DropDMG and create a read-write image.
Mount the image in the Finder.
Set the background picture on the mounted image using the Finder's Get
Info command. Make sure the picture file you select is saved somewhere
on the disk image rather than on your hard disk. Set the view options
and arrange the icons the way you want them.
Sometimes the Finder doesn't save changes to the view options. It may
help to create and delete an empty folder on the image.
Unmount the image in the Finder using the Eject command in the File menu.
Drag the .dmg file onto DropDMG and convert it to read-only or a
compressed format.
Some people like to save the background picture file in an invisible
folder named .background, so that it is not visible on the mounted
image. This folder will not be visible in the Save window of your
graphics program. You can, however, type Command-Shift-G. This will
let you enter the path of the .background folder so that you can save
the picture in it.

I used this method, including the bit about using an invisible file.

BTW, once you have made a R/W image, don't trash it. Whenever you need
to update it, open the R/W image, make your changes, eject the image
and then convert it to read only using DropDMG. It means you only have
to go through this process once for each application.

HTH,
Sarah