OT: Future of PHP - LAMP Based Web Site Technology

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Aug 24 18:52:35 EDT 2007

This is a super blue sky query for comment:

We're interested in possibly outsourcing some web dev. In response to
any RFP we might issue
we will no doubt get a number of developers using LAMP. I already have
one handy.

All his web sites are *.php based  (and table based) zero javascript or
AJAX.

We are wondering about the future of putting a huge amount of data
into a PHP based web "container"

Anyone have any comments? PHP is alive and well and moving forward...
It is the basis for our wiki (PMwiki)

On the other hand I don't see any in use in many progressive "Web 2.0"
sites.
Not a single page at www.apple.com  google or Flickr uses PHP.

If we were, e.g. to take "www.hinduismtoday.com" from it current "retro"
state
(very much in need of a make over) to a new future, I'm concerned that
pouring all that content into LAMP, could throttle any movement forward
after that...

Our content is a perfect candidate from offering API's for mashups.
And our "mission statement" would definitely involve taking the wrapper
off the data and making it available.

This kind of code (below) makes me nervous... but I don't know if my gut
feeling
is simply based on ignorance of the unknown, or if it is a valid
intuition that
if we went this direction we would be hobbling our future:

# every single dynamic element involves kicking the PHP can...

<A href=http://www.kauaiunitedway.org/ class=footermenu>Home</A>  |
<A href=subpage.php?main_cat_id=1 class=footermenu>About Kauai United
Way</A>  |
<A href=subpage.php?main_cat_id=2 class=footermenu>Contribute</A>  |

<A href=subpage.php?main_cat_id=3 class=footermenu>Participating
Agencies</A>  |
<A href=contact.php class=footermenu>Contact</A>  |
<A href=subpage.php?main_cat_id=5 class=footermenu>News</A>  |
<A href=subpage.php?main_cat_id=6 class=footermenu>Frequently Asked
Questions</A>  |
<A href=sitemap.php class=footermenu>Sitemap</A>  |
<A href=privacy.php class=footermenu>Privacy</A>  |

<A href=linktous.php class=footermenu>Link to Us</A>

Insights anyone? This is a "no holds barred" discussion: tell it like
you see it.
if it is felt this should not be exposed on the list, email me off list...
up to you. Though I suspect it would interest many here...

TIA:

Looking for the Big Picture
on Future Web Dev

Sivakatirswami