OS X CGI

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 23 19:16:41 EDT 2007

Thank you for the info, Chris:

> 1. In the olden days the only BSD we had was for Intel PCs, and the
>> complaint was that we needed PPC.  Now times have changed and what we
>> need is Intel.  Why can't we use the old Intel one on Intel Macs?  What
>> part of BSD for Intel did Apple cripple so that apps written for BSD on
>> Intel won't run if the Intel machine running BSD happens to be a Mac?
>> Or can we?
>
> This is an interesting question.  I've always heard that the two aren't
> binary compatible but I've never really gone looking for the evidence until
> today.  Turns out that both FreeBSD and NetBSD have some measure of binary
> compatibility with Darwin.  The reverse however appears to not be true.
> According to this page at Apple:
>
> tiny
> *http://tinyurl.com/qgh4q
>
> full
> **<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/K
> ernelProgramming/BSD/chapter_11_section_3.html#//apple_ref/d
> oc/uid/TP30000905-CH214-TPXREF103*>
> *
> there are some fairly strong differences that would make any expectation of
> binary compatibility fairly low.  Most notably the difference in the object
> file format and the dynaloader.

Drag.  Looks like my hoped-for quickie solution is a non-starter.
Thanks for digging that up.

> But, to ask your own question back atcha.."Why would you want to do this on
> Apple hardware when cheap Linux hosts abound?"

It's not for me.  I'm trying to help a fella on the Rev forums who's
apparently intent on using Apple hardware for his CGIs.  I figured it
would be worth a try to check in here to see if anyone had success
running either the old Intel BSD build or the new OS X build as a CGI.

Now able to rule out the old BSD build, I'm still not clear why we can't
use the OS X build.  What am I not understanding?  Isn't there at least
some way one can communicate between Apache and Rev on OS X via Apple
events?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal