OS X CGI

chris bohnert chris at altuit.com
Thu Aug 23 19:04:23 EDT 2007

Richard,

1. In the olden days the only BSD we had was for Intel PCs, and the
> complaint was that we needed PPC.  Now times have changed and what we
> need is Intel.  Why can't we use the old Intel one on Intel Macs?  What
> part of BSD for Intel did Apple cripple so that apps written for BSD on
> Intel won't run if the Intel machine running BSD happens to be a Mac?
> Or can we?

This is an interesting question.  I've always heard that the two aren't
binary compatible but I've never really gone looking for the evidence until
today.  Turns out that both FreeBSD and NetBSD have some measure of binary
compatibility with Darwin.  The reverse however appears to not be true.
According to this page at Apple:

tiny
*http://tinyurl.com/qgh4q

full
**<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/K
ernelProgramming/BSD/chapter_11_section_3.html#//apple_ref/d
oc/uid/TP30000905-CH214-TPXREF103*>
*
there are some fairly strong differences that would make any expectation of
binary compatibility fairly low.  Most notably the difference in the object
file format and the dynaloader.

But, to ask your own question back atcha.."Why would you want to do this on
Apple hardware when cheap Linux hosts abound?"

--
cb
*