milliseconds timing & subliminal stimuli

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Fri Apr 27 11:14:15 EDT 2007

David, you may well have been down this route, but the following
little experiment I found quite interesting:

on mouseUp
   put the millisecs into t0
   show img "alex"
   unlock screen
   put the millisecs into t1
   repeat
     if the millisecs >= t1 + 30 then
       hide img "alex"
       unlock screen
       put the millisecs into t2
       exit repeat
     end if
   end repeat

   put t1 - t0 && t2 - t0 && t2 - t1
end mouseUp

The 'unlock screen' meant that I always actually saw the image (I
believe it forces a screen refresh), and the repeat loop guarantees
(I think) that the image is visible for at least 30 ms.

The timing measurements were (on my 1.5Ghz G4 laptop):

t1 - t0  9 to 20
t2 - t0 45 to 60
t2 - t1 reliably 36 +- 1

No idea if this is helpful, but I thought I'd throw it in...

Best,

Mark