slightly off-topic: software marketing issues

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Fri Apr 27 06:14:06 EDT 2007

Hi Viktoras,

> Can anyone recommend any good books or online resources on how to market
> and sell software products, arrange beta testing, choose suitable type of
> licensing, avoid pitfalls (unsatisfied customers, money-back and related
> things), creating product website, user groups, forums, mailing lists,
> software registration database; source code protection means and policies,
> and what-else-to-take-care-of... Thanks in advance!

Yep.  I'm assuming you'll be allowing demos for download?  If so the best
resource I know of is http://www.asp-shareware.org  at around US $100 it's a
goldmine, I'm a member (ex Vice President and Director so I'm biased <g>)
and the stuff the members know (over a thousand members) is incredible with
hundreds of posts a week in the newsgroups (private).  Don't be put off by
the word "shareware" as it no longer has a great deal of meaning,  It's more
about small development companies now.  The next best is
http://www.aisip.com at around US $30 a year.  I'm a founding member and
while it is good it doesn't have anywhere the level of detail that the ASP
has, but then the ASP is twenty years old.  ASP members include the makers
of WinZip, Paintshop Pro and even Microsoft.  Free resources include the
OISV http://www.oisv.com  - I'm also a founding member there but the info is
nowhere near as good as the others as most of the members are programmers
(where as the other groups include marketers etc as well as programmers) and
of course I moderate news:comp.software.shareware.authors on Usenet where
you are always welcome to ask questions.  Note though that the authors who
know what they are talking about generally don't share info in the OISV or
the public newsgroups.  They tend to save it for members of the first two
groups and the ASP in particular.  I do intend to do some articles for the
Rev newsletter on software marketing in the future, just busy right now
working on something else.

Best Regards,

Scott Kane