Save question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Apr 23 00:52:30 EDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 21:07:33 -0700, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

> Ken,
>
> The question then arises: assume that we keep track for instances in
> which the program has been changes and activate the Save menu item
> accordingly, are all the cards with their fields and buttons  and
> graphics written to a saved copy at that time? Or must we implement
> those changes ourselves in the "new" version?

If you're talking about doing this in a standalone, whenever you
implement the "save stack <stackName>" command, all changes are written
to disk at that time to the stack you've identified. Until then, the
changes only reside in memory and will be disposed of when your app
closes. Of course, a lot of this depends on the construction of your
application - for example, suppose you had an Address Book with a
single stack as an interface to the user to display the addresses. You
could construct it so that the stack that showed the interface
maintained each card for each person, and changes made are saved to
that stack. On the other hand, you could store the data in a database
or text file, and have only a single card as your interface to the
user, drawing the data from the database/file and parsing it to get the
right "record" to display.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.