A string doesn't equal itself

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 12 15:16:36 EDT 2007

Bill Marriott wrote:

> What about
>
> put "3.141592653589793238461" is "3.141592653589793238462"
>
> Guess what Rev says? (True.) Longstanding behavior in xTalk, going back to
> HyperCard days.

You won't find much HyperCard worship here.  Sure, I liked it and used
it, but I've found many things in that app that I would consider design
errors and would count this among them.

Those two numbers are simply not equal.  To report that they are is an
error.

That the cause of an error may be understandable doesn't mean that an
error isn't an error.  Knowing why a leaf is green doesn't make it blue.

If the program cannot handle numbers of a certain precision, falsely
pretending to do so seems less helpful than letting the user know it
can't handle what it's being asked to do.

How would this example be handled by Mark Waddingham's proposed change?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation