Framed

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Apr 2 18:48:29 EDT 2007

Cal,
On 4/1/07, Cal Horner <calhorner at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> I was trying to keep from starting another long discussion as to the merits
> of Rev.
> To me Rev is a tool set that works well when one is creating an application
> that is used in one or two offices
>
> But, if you are committed to a large project, and I'm not necessarily
> advocating large projects, you should have  a different set of tools in mind

I agree with your first statement, but can't let the second one go
without some sort of rebuttal.

I would suggest Rev is a tool that works best for creating an
application where only a handful of developers are building it. There
a numerous examples of commercial Rev apps being used in more than a
couple of offices. But, having lots of programmers working on the same
Rev app, becomes difficult.

Not knowing your definition of a "Large Project", it's hard to
critique that statement. But currently I'm working on a large (IMO)
CRM and Business Process project management software app, designed to
deploy to of thousands of users, and includes contact management,
calendaring, messaging, business process management including reports
and graphs, full administration capabilities, coaching and more.

It's taken 6 months just to blueprint the project and create the
interfaces for the 30+ stacks including 12+ files.

Currently there are:
Total number of controls: 7828
Total number of buttons: 1285
Total number of custom images for buttons and other: 1552
Total number of fields: 633

And we're not done yet, by a long shot. It will end up being
programmed by 2 Rev programmers (perhaps with some help from a few
others) and a couple server guys.

-Chipp