Revolution, MySQL vs FileMaker

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 02:03:16 EDT 2006

Javier,

Keep in mind that MySQL is not free for commercial applications and that the
licensing involved is at least confusing (at least it was to me and I have a
law degree!).

That said, the Rev solution can look any number of ways. Perhaps the most
common usage is to design a Revolution desktop application that accesses the
database on the server directly. There's no inherent need for a Rev stack on
the server (though you can go that route and use CGI if you like; I don't
recommend that because Rev CGIs are not multi-threaded and therefore not as
useful for apps that need to scale).

Another approach is to create the server-side app as a MySQL or PostgreSQL
(which IS free) database interfaced by PHP scripts running on the server,
then write your Rev client-side application to interact with the PHP rather
than with the SQL database directly. Many people who use this approach say
it's more stable and faster than direct interaciton with the database but
that situation may have improved enough recently not to be an issue.

In any case, speaking as a former FM developer and consultant, the *cost*
and *performance* of deploying a solution as a Rev app rather than a
FileMaker app will prove significant improvements. I wouldn't hesitate to
switch if I were you, particularly if the application is intended to be
around for some time and maintained.