[Mostly OT] Tate Talks About Language-Adoption Risks

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 18:06:54 EDT 2006

I think it makes sense to try to find a niche for Rev in which it would
excel so well it would compel users of Java and those considering Ruby to
take a closer look at it. I don't think Internet apps are the place to do
that. As long as Rev is single-threaded, it doesn't hold much promise on the
server side of the Internet equation for scalable application deployment,
which is why I've started using Python/Plone as my Web app framework. Andre
Garzia and I worked hard (me on design and cheerleading,  him on coding and
testing) to try to create Rev on Rockets as a Web framework but the single
threading is an absolute deal killer.

Database-driven and database-backed Web apps are the most popular kinds of
software being built today according to Bruce and lots of other folks.
Certainly those are the kinds of apps I want to build for the foreseeable
future. But as I survey the development of desktop apps, I don't see a
single niche category where Rev could take a dominant role and get
developers to sit up and take notice. I do, however, think that's necessary
for Rev to have a chance of much more widespread adoption among existing
developers.