more stinkin s p a m

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 03:32:27 EST 2006

On 10/29/06, Jeffrey Reynolds <jeff at siphonophore.com> wrote:
>but much of this
> increased s p a m is coming from list addresses.

I was pretty cautious about becoming a 'List' member, spam being the
real concern, so I specifically set up this address purely for that
purpose. It lasted a little over 2 months before I started getting
spam, and as mentioned here, of late it seems to have gone up a notch
or two.

Currently I get about 2 to 3 times more spam at this address than at
my regular address, which is over 12 years old. Then again this list
gets about 2 times more posts to it than I get to my regular email
address.

Gmail seems to do a pretty good job at sending spam to the spam
folder, it's never missed one, and only occasionally does a real email
slip into the spam folder.

Interestingly, at the same time I set this address up I set up another
gmail address, along the lines of kay.junkmail at gmail.com (not the real
address because I don't want who/what is trolling this list to add to
it's catch) which I use anytime a company/gov/org/survey/registration
wants an email address. I figured that this would soon be bombarded
with emails from 'others' who had obtained my email because they were
a parent co./subsiduary/partner/co-dept etc etc, but this has not been
the case. It has also remained spam free. It also only gets about
100th the posts compared to this list.