Quicktime Multimedia Authoring - Nearly Dead?

Marielle Lange mlange at widged.com
Sat Oct 28 21:04:34 EDT 2006

>> On Oct 27, 2006, at 9:39 AM, Luis wrote:
>>> And a future 'direction' for Flash and Adobe: http://
>>> labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo:developerfaq
>> Gee, developing internet-enabled apps for the desktop that
>> leverage existing technologies! What I wouldn't give for a
>> development environment that would let me do that!
>> Oh wait.... Don't we already have one?

Revolution product and the company have nicely evolved over the last
months but, to my knowledge, not the point you describe. I may be
wrong... I have had little chance to keep up with revolution's
product and community for the last months.

>> Oh wait.... Don't we already have one?
> We do, but to what extent we can say Revolution "leverages existing
> technologies" may require some qualification.

indeed.

As I said, I am not up to the latest developments... but to my
knowledge revolution can't even leverage revolution's technology
itself, due to the lack of component-based architecture.

Thanks to a component-based architecture, this javascript library:
<http://jquery.com/plugins/> has driven the development of possibly
up to hundred plugins and components in only 3-4 months time. Nothing
huge of course. But at least, it is possible to find something as
simple as a working table object that can easily be reused across
projects. <http://projects.widged.com/exercist/etivities/activities/
table_data/index.html>. Has this been done over the 6 months I was
out of the list? I didn't read any post for months.

I know you only mean to show some support but I fear that comments
like "Don't we already have one?", may have had for effect to
encourage serious programmer who reads this list off the discussion.

For one, I would be very interested in a technical discussion of
this: <http://www.andregarzia.com/revwiki/page/main> and how,
eventually, the apollo project allows to do more than is currently
possible with revolution... to understand what is it that we can't do
yet is the first step in understanding what needs to be done to
become able to do it or Chipp Walters' take on "Reusable Components"
Creating simple and complex components for re-use" (cf. Conference
DVD contents: <http://runrev.com/offers/conference_dvd.php>)

Marielle