AVI versus MOV in standalones - Apple Quicktime regulations

Stgoldberg at aol.com Stgoldberg at aol.com
Mon Oct 23 13:55:40 EDT 2006

I'm creating Rev standalones containing movies, for both Mac and Windows, to
be distributed on CDs.   I create the Rev standalones on a Mac, incorporating
Quicktime movies.   Since many Windows users do not have Quicktime installed
on their computers, I include a Quicktime installer on the CD, but this seems
to be unnecessary for Macs, since Macs come with Quicktime preinstalled.   My
question is this:   Apple requires that they receive an application for
permission to include their Quicktime installer, and they also require placement of
their Quicktime logo on the CD label if a Quicktime installer is included.
Can all of this be avoided, including the necessity of including the Quicktime
installer, by making the Windows version of the standalones using AVI format?
Do all Windows computers come with AVI reading capabilities preinstalled?
Would there be any drawback to using AVI rather than MOV format?   Thanks.
Steve Goldberg
www.medmaster.net