Suite of Tests

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 18:37:41 EDT 2006

On 21 Oct 2006, at 23:04, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2006, at 3:19 PM, kee nethery wrote:
>>

>> The advantage of a file is that you can have the master stack look
>> in all the files sometime after it launches all the tests (and
>> after they really should be finished) to see which tests suites
>> failed and report on those. If a test suite fails, it won't hang
>> all the other tests.
>
> Couldn't a test manager write a file as easily as the test itself?
>
> Presumably a test manager could also take the stack and save it
> with some properties set before executing each test in the the
> stack.  That could provide similar information.  Of course, one
> might assume that file I/O is more primitive than a stack save.

My main reasoning for separate results files:

Each individual stack in the suite can write out results that are
specific to that stack, without the managing stack having to know
anything about those specifics. Each person can then concentrate on
logging the information that they need, rathere than how to pass that
info back to the manager.

We can then make the manager stack as generic as possible, with a
minimal framework of commands going back and forth.

Could be a good topic for the conference.

Ian