CGI for Slide show

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Oct 21 07:00:51 EDT 2006

OK, that's all very interesting. and I think I understand about half of it.

but

a) given CPU speeds of web servers are increasing

witness: The dual Xeon processor on our managed dedicated server at
ServerPath with 100 Megabit dedicated socket for our box,  (no other box
on  our same C class network before the router) hardly ever sees more
than an 10% usage, much to my surprise, of course, we are not CNN or
Sports Illustrated..POINT: I just don't see *anything* we throw at this
hardware/network slowing down the user experience at all. i.e. so all
the discussion about  multiple instances of Rev etc. seem meaningless.
(no doubt I am missing something since is seems to be such a *big* issue
for others) we are talking processes that are miniscule events in
today's microchip world.

b) Bandwidth is increasing... "cracking that sort of web gui  issue. "
what do we have to "crack" -- can you be more explicit?

I mean... we're not asking the server to return Gaussian blur on a 20
Meg photoshop file that lives on our local hard drive. (goes to the
whole futuristic "it will all be web based one day." let's forget that
for now...it's way too soon to let those concepts influence real world
2006 webdev decisions)

BACK TO MY POINT:  What's wrong with the old fashioned" iFrame model (or
target="_top" for a pop up window) ... where you just have a Rev CGi
fill it.

i.e. you didn't directly answer my question as to why AJAX is better.
I'm actually trying to see if anyone knows enough about this to
articulate a better way and why.
Admittedly this is a vague query.. we are trying to grok the next decade
  of web dev....

Of course, Rev CGI or back  end stacks  will handle  everything, that's
a given.
(since xTalk is the only language I know... though I can "grok" PHP..and
I do edit PHP scripts
for  our wiki "PMWiki"  PHP still leaves me cold)

Note that we never bring "Flash" into this discussion. Because, correct
me if I am wrong, for a non-profit to buy into the Macromedia (now
adobe) development suite = big bucks we don't have. If there is a
lo-cost model for bringing Macromedia tools into the enterprise (at
least 5 seats= $10,000 plus, if you factor in 3 years upgrades) I don't
see it.... so if we can do the same thing with good ol'fashioned html,
open source CSS  and Rev cgi's I'll be happy and so will Tim ...
inventor of the web. We are living his dream instead of building
proprietary UI for browsers. (flash)

TIA

Sivakatirswami (who is also praying for a linux engine that will run 2.7
stacks on a web server!)