Open Letter to Rev: Quality Is Job #1

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Oct 21 14:30:07 EDT 2006

On Oct 21, 2006, at 1:32 AM, Bill Marriott wrote:

> Not paper. The reports are provided via a secure web connection.
> But yes,
> it's a free crash analysis service provided by Microsoft for
> Windows XP and
> later that would seem to be a valuable way to diagnose program
> crashes. Rev
> apparently does not participate in it. Earlier in the thread I gave a
> complete description of what Windows Error Reporting (WER) is and
> links to
> get more information about it.

Oh, sorry, I got confused about the paper part.  I think "folded" is
what did it.

I found the email.  I skipped over it after saw you didn't bother to
quote the quotation.  According to the page you pointed to there are
some expenses in getting a certificate.  Does the app have to do
something?  Wouldn't it cost money to make and test changes to the
application?  I don't see how this is free.  How does RunRev
associate a crash with a bug?

I also missed the mail where we learned that RunRev does not
participate.  I get the impression that you think this is a
shortcoming, that this is an obvious use of resources.

I didn't see how you propose that this is integrated with error
reporting for application developers, that is, those of us who build
and distribute applications.  Are you suggesting that error reports
for applications are sent to RunRev?  Would those be sent to
developers?  Or should developers use an external to override the WER
settings?  I wonder how folks would feel about crash reports on a
product obtained from me being sent to RunRev.

I just did a spot check and the functions I looked at require Vista.

I saw that less than 2000 companies participate in WER.  That doesn't
make it seem so obvious to me.

I think you have a suggestion here, but I'm having trouble seeing it.

Dar