Multimedia Authoring - Quicktime Dead?

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 21 10:16:48 CDT 2006


Greg,

No I have not and the Qscript does look very much like javascript so  
I can see what you mean.

Tom

On Oct 21, 2006, at 11:10 AM, GregSmith wrote:

>
> Thomas:
>
> LiveStage would be the "premiere" QuickTime authoring environment,  
> but have
> you tried authoring in it?  I find it extremely confusing, at  
> best.  As far
> as I can tell, even the simplest interactivity must be scripted in  
> Qscript,
> which looks to me, like another javascript clone.  This is great for
> programmers, but not for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Smith
>
>
>
> Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>>
>> Dear Greg,
>>
>> Live Stage from Totally Hip Software is supposed to do Rollover's in
>> Quicktime.
>>
>>
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2006, at 10:22 AM, GregSmith wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> As far as the simplest solution for authoring in "standalone"
>>> QuickTime
>>> format, whether for web presentation or anything else, given the
>>> available
>>> interactivity built into QuickTime, itself - Cleaner 6.5, (for
>>> Mac), and, I
>>> believe Cleaner XL, (for Windows) seems to be the ticket.
>>> Outrageously
>>> priced if you were buying this product for the limited
>>> interactivity it
>>> offers, but you would also get all of those wonderful compression
>>> routines
>>> and batch processing along with it.
>>>
>>> Now, here is an example of a small fish being swallowed by a bigger
>>> fish who
>>> was, in turn, swallowed by an even bigger fish.  Terran Interactive
>>> was
>>> gobbled up by Discreet who was utterly consumed by AutoDesk, the
>>> Atlantic
>>> cod of software distributors.
>>>
>>> The interactive features that Cleaner quickly makes authorable are:
>>> Hotspots that allow jumping to a given time or simply to play from
>>> the time
>>> of the Hotspot to the next pause, (pause is also a feature), or to
>>> substitute one movie in place of the one playing, or open a URL.  It
>>> supports "Chapter" markers with accompanying text blurb, text  
>>> tracks,
>>> markers and keyframes.
>>>
>>> But even with all of this functionality, QuickTime, and the  
>>> authoring
>>> packages that support it, just doesn't compare with the kind of
>>> interactivity possible with Flash and its associated authoring
>>> tools.  Just
>>> as an example, for the life of me, I can't find any way to author a
>>> simple
>>> "rollover" button within an interactive QuickTime movie.  This just
>>> wipes me
>>> out.  Or, keeping the movie looping within a certain series of
>>> frames until
>>> an event happens - what gives?
>>>
>>> I like QuickTime better, since it really is a kind of operating
>>> system, in
>>> itself.  You can put almost any kind of media in a QuickTime movie,
>>> and it
>>> plays on iPods, for crying out loud.  Somebody, somewhere is  
>>> missing a
>>> couple of golden opportunities, if you ask me.
>>>
>>> Greg Smith
>>> -- 
>>> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Multimedia-
>>> Authoring---Quicktime-Dead--tf2474177.html#a6932952
>>> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> use-revolution mailing list
>>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>>> subscription preferences:
>>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>> Thomas J McGrath III
>> 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
>>
>> Lazy River Software - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com
>>
>> Lazy River Metal Art™ - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com/metal.html
>>
>> Meeting Wear - http://www.cafepress.com/meetingwear
>>
>> Semantic Compaction Systems - http://www.minspeak.com
>>
>> SCIconics, LLC - http://www.sciconics.com/sciindex.html
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-revolution mailing list
>> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>>
>>
>
> -- 
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Multimedia- 
> Authoring---Quicktime-Dead--tf2474177.html#a6933379
> Sent from the Revolution - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your  
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution

Thomas J McGrath III
3mcgrath at adelphia.net

Lazy River Software - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com

Lazy River Metal Art™ - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com/metal.html

Meeting Wear - http://www.cafepress.com/meetingwear

Semantic Compaction Systems - http://www.minspeak.com

SCIconics, LLC - http://www.sciconics.com/sciindex.html










More information about the use-livecode mailing list