Open Letter to Rev: Quality Is Job #1

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 11:53:43 EDT 2006

Umm . . .

It is not that difficult to:

1. Start something fantastically innovative,

2. Take over something from somebody else and jazz it
up considerably,

BUT . . .

it is extremely hard to maintain something -

especially something that has been belting along at
full steam for quite
some time.

I bought RRMedia 2.7.1 and think that it is awful!
(admittedly mainly
because of the way all the component stacks are locked
in so I cannot
heavily customise them).

I do most of my work with DreamCard 2.6.1 and think it
is fantastic!
It looks, to me, as the culmination of all the work
since RR 1. 2.7 and
Co look "wonky".

And I have only two questions for the generally very
good and
hard-working people at Runtime Revolution:

1. Why have you been infected by the urge to upgrade
at a ferocious
rate, including a file format change which seems to
serve no obvious
purpose?

A more settled pace of development and upgrade release
might result
in more quality control and give us an impression of
mature stability
rather than something intent on creative burn-out.

2. Yes, Bill Marriott (and tons of others), have done
a lot of work which,
in one way or another must have contributed to RR's
financial success
- isn't it time to cut them some slack?

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006