XP thumbs.db file

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 18 12:20:01 EDT 2006

I have recently had XP users complaining about 'blank' images in what
is in essence a slide show of images contained in a folder.  The
standalone assumes everything in the folder is an image, and tries to
display each.

I had carefully deleted OS X invisible files (the file database and
custom icon files) from the folder, so I was surprised something had
seemingly sneaked through.  I have discovered that the problem is an
ordinarily invisible file created by XP, called thumbs.db, containing,
unsurprisingly, the thumbnails used in the rather nasty filmstrip view.

Now I know it exists, I can 'filter it without' so that  thumbs.db is
not included in the list of images to display.  However, it got me to
wondering how hard it would be to display the images stored in the
thumbs.db file.

If the answer (using Rev) is 'impossible' or 'tricky', either single
word response to this post will do.  Only waste brain and finger energy
if it is more easy than might be expected  ;-))

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership

http://www.i-psych.co.uk