Use of abbreviations in scripts

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Oct 14 21:10:07 EDT 2006

I fully recognize that there are different creation styles and what
works for one might not work for another.  I am curious about
abbreviations, though.

I sometimes take shortcuts in scripts but for the most part, if it is
an example on this list or a script for someone else or I might look
at it again, I try to avoid scripts that are hard to read.

I get the impressions that lots of folks use abbreviations.

I didn't realize this at first and in learning to use Revolution I
ending up abbreviating only two places (I think).  I abbreviate
'char' and--since I have trouble remembering color properties--I
might sometimes use a color property that is an abbreviation.  (My
abbreviation of 'char' has nothing to do with C.)  Maybe I abbreviate
other places but don't know it.  For me, 'card' and 'graphic' are
easier to read and type than 'cd' and 'grc'.  I saw a 'grc' once in a
script and didn't know what it was.

I am curious.  Is this so the text editor window can be narrower or
expressions longer?  Is this kind of a club recognition signal?  Is
this easier to type for those who use these.  I suppose I could get
used to typing and reading them, so I don't want to make too big of a
deal about their being harder to read and type.  What about scripts
delivered to a customer?

Have I just indicated that I'm not a true xTalker, uh, card-head or
whatever one is?

Dar
A curious guy