CGI for Slide show

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Oct 12 13:00:28 EDT 2006

Sivakatirswami-

> I've heard iFrame was deprecated, but it works really well.
> I am also using now an iFrame that calls a Rev CGI which
> returns a small html chunk.

You can also make AJAX calls in your iframe to respond to user mouse
clicks, validate changes in text fields, etc.

A main reason the iframe tag is deprecated is because Microsoft made
the decision a while back that everything would be web-enabled. Thus
folks could put malware in iframe tags and it would be automatically
executed in emails, Word documents, etc. I'm not wild about HTML
emails in general, but emails that execute code on my machine are just
a Bad Idea.

> For all the hype that AJAX gets... I don't see how this
> differs from AJAX. (please enlighten me there if you care  to...)
> Anyway you cook it, your web server must

AJAX doesn't usually have a rev cgi on the backend, so you're able to
get away with a lot without the AJAX frontend processor. I use the
combination of AJAX and rev cgi, although with text rather than actual
xml, so I prefer to call it AJAR.

>> Anyway... iFrame is so simple:

> <li>
> <iframe name="archiveIndex" border="0" width="130" height="140"
> src="/cgi-bin/buildTakaIndex.cgi">
> </iframe>
> </li>

> I'm thinking I can take this model and drive a slide show through a
> bigger rect on the web page.

Yes, that's what I use iframe tags for. The combination of the rev cgi
generating html pages on the fly and an iframe tag to contain the
result and css files to provide the UI experience is pretty powerful.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net