Comparison of Multimedia

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 17:29:25 EDT 2006

Hiya,

I've started messing with QuickMedia, and yes, tutorials? What
tutorials?... No really tho', it's fairly easy to pick up once you
get going.
I haven't touched the scripting but it does have a BIG PLUS for me:
MIDI with balance AND pitch control! Yes folks! In the same app!
What it calls SQL, well...isn't. Internet, erm, hmmm.
It is very basic in its approach, which makes experimenting easier,
and it's the nippiest multimedia app I've used.
Does Mac and PC too.
Support? I haven't experienced it really, like I said, started a
short while ago. But the forums are very, how can I say it... French?
And the manuals, well, they did their best!

Now, Norpath. There is a very good tutorial. Links into SQL very
nicely. Internet aware (I was amazed what I could do with it quite
frankly, a bit like grabbing .rev files into rev). You can modify the
Elements to add to your Library. Runs Javascript snippets nicely too.
The only downfall is that it's very heavy: There's a lot of 'initial'
overhead for a simple app (basic 'connect to SQL' was 25MB) but after
that the size is bearable. A little free addon from their site gives
you access to JSP.
But its crowning glory for me is the visual programming (and yes, I
come from an Assembly language and Forth background, so go figure.
Maybe it's because things have gotten so complicated
nowadays...mumble...grumble...).
Does Mac, PC, Linux, Solaris...
Support? Try and Google Norpath, all you get is reviews: It's almost
like an industrial secret... Support is free for 30 days and then
there are no forums. I've told them I'd set one up if they didn't. It
looks like I have to.

Grab a trial and follow the tutorials for Norpath and mess around
with QuickMedia. I reckon you should get a flavour for what they can
do in a couple of weeks.

Let me know if you need more details!
If you want I can try to mock something up in Norpath (give me an
idea) and post it on my site.

Cheers,

Luis.