newbie-ish question: is QT required on Windows for audio in a player?

Curt Ford cford at sc.edu
Tue Oct 10 16:24:09 EDT 2006

I may just be missing this in the docs, but..

Do windows users have to have QT installed to hear mp3 audio played
through a player object?

My project uses lots of external audio, played through a player.
Sometimes an entire file, more often a portion, using startTime and
endTime; sometimes the .mp3 is local, sometimes accessed over the
net. Works great on OSX.

A few Windows users have had trouble getting the external audio (this
was discussed a few weeks ago by me & others). I'd hoped playing the
files locally would help but a tester has reported getting a few
seconds of audio for one clip, then nothing, even when playing local
files. She said she had had QuickTime, but uninstalled it a while
back. Is there something else needed, winAmp or something else, on XP
for playing mp3 files through a player?

thanks!

Curt