shell vs. process

Andrew andrew at ugh.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 04:05:06 EDT 2006

On 10/10/2006, at 6:52, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Luis wrote:
>
> Any of you network gurus know if ping is possible with Rev right now
> using sockets?

It isn't possible under a traditional UNIX system. You need to be able
to open a raw socket and AFAIK Rev has no way to do it. It also
requires root access. Currently you would need the help of an external
or other process.

Under OSX I believe there is an alternative method (never used it
myself) that allows you to use a datagram socket rather than a raw one.
This negates the need for root access but I still don't think Rev would
give you access to this functionality.

Windows may be different again - not really my area.

HTH,

Andrew